The Office of Leadership and Service-Learning (OLSL) manages four vehicles that can be reserved and used for university related co-curricular and curricular community service and service-learning. These vehicles can only be driven by paid student, staff, or faculty employees who are University van trained by OLSL staff, the Office of Environmental Health & Safety, or another authorized UNCG van safety trainer. Drivers will also be required to have a valid driver’s license and provide a driving record.
Common examples of vehicle usage:
- Faculty/Staff Adviser drives student group to service project
- Faculty member, paid Teaching Assistant, paid Graduate Assistant, or paid Student Reflection Leader drives students to service sites
- Residence Life professional or student staff drives student residents to service project
Guidelines for vehicle usage:
- Operate vehicle only for approved use
- Practice safe driving at all times
- Report any van maintenance issues to OLSL
- Ensure that all trash is collected and disposed of before returning vehicle
- Do not return vehicle with less than a quarter tank of gas, please refer to fueling instructions in key packet or inquire about a gas card when picking up keys
- Fill out and return form in key packet with each use
We have two 15 passenger vans (Ford Transit not pictured), a 12 passenger van, and a 15 passenger mini-bus.
Frequently asked questions:
Who pays for gas? – If you are using the van for the above guidelines regarding service activities or service-learning OLSL covers the cost of gas. If you are traveling more than an hour from campus please let us know and we will provide you with a gas card to be used only for our vehicles. While we work to ensure each vehicle has gas upon pick-up, each key packet has instructions for filling gas at the campus pump if your vehicle should have less than a quarter tank when picked up.
Where are the vehicles kept? – The vans are a 10 minute walk or 5 minute drive from the Elliott University Center in a university parking lot. Drivers are responsible for picking them up and returning them to the same location.
How do I get keys? – Once your reservation is approved by email you can pick up the keys at the Office of Leadership and Service-Learning in the Elliott University Center Suite 217 during business hours (8:30am-5pm M-F) no more than one day before you need them. Keys must be returned within 24 hours after your reservation during business hours.
What happens in the event of an accident? – You will learn this information in the van safety training you receive before being authorized to drive University vehicles. In the event you need a reminder, guidelines and insurance information are available in the key packet that you will keep with you while operating an OLSL vehicle.
Still have questions?
For faculty reserving a vehicle for course related service – Lauren Cunningham, Assistant Director for Service-Learning,
For students, staff, or faculty reserving a vehicle for an extra- or co-curricular service – Kristina Snader, Assistant Director for Community Engagement, email@example.com, 336-256-1406